Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Ventriloquist: 1988 - 2006

Detective Comics #818
Written by James Robinson
Art by Leonard Kirk and Andy Clarke
Cover by Simone Bianchi

The previous issues of this storyline were reviewed here and here. This is part 3 of Face to Face, which is a storyline that continues to be great. This issue made me smile and even made me a little sad. I was happy to see Batman tell Robin that one day he could surpass Nightwing. And it is so cool for Batman and Robin to be working as a team again. Robinson could have easily had the heartwarming between Batman and Robin seem corny or lame but he pulls it off here without taking away Batman's edge. The ventiloquist's murder was a little sad because he is one of the few Batman villains that you could actually feel sympathy for. I mean he carries around a doll! The ventriloquist actually made his first appearence the month I was born! He will sorely missed.

No comments: