Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Detective 833 - 848

Detective Comics #833
Written by Paul Dini

Art by Don Kramer


The first time I read this issue I was pleasently surprised that Loxias turned out to the Joker. On a second read-through, it was fun to see the clues early on. What a great reveal. Dini may have a Zatanna-fetish, but he does know how to tell great Batman stories with her.


Detective Comics #834 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Don Kramer

Dini is probably the greatest Joker writer of the modern era. This issue supports that. The Joker is hilarious and I love the line about the Justice League Picnic. The ending was awesome where Joker stages his final act. And it was nice to see Batman finally forgive Zatanna for mindwiping him.

Detective Comics #835 Written by John Rozum
Art by Tom Mandrake

This is a particularly creepy Scarecrow filler arc from a writer I have never heard of. The art here is fantastic; dark and moody, fitting the story very well. Scarecrow is one sick fuck.

Detective Comics #836 Written by John Rozum
Art by Tom Mandrake

This concludes the two-part Scarecrow story from last issue. Scarecrow is scaring the heck out of Gotham without his fear gas. Hats off to him I guess haha. He does some scary shit here including almost convincing Robin to go to sleep with a bear trap as a pillow. I question why Rozum brought in this love interest, Kay. She served no point in the story and it's just a filler so it's not like she will be staying around. Odd.

Detective Comics #837 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Don Kramer

This countdown Tie-in worked really well I think. Anytime we have Dini writing Harley Quinn and the Riddler in one issue it is going to be good. Now that I think of it, have we even seen Harley since Countdown ended?

Detective Comics #838 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Ryan Benjamin

This is Part 3 of the Ressurrection of Ra's Al Ghul crossover. Eh it was okay. I have never really gotten into Ra's al Ghul. The only story I really liked with him was Tower of Babel but more for the Justice League then him. So it is really hard for me to care about this story.

Detective Comics #839 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Ryan Benjamin and Don Kramer

This was the conclusion of the Ressurrection of Ra's al Ghul Crossover and I actually liked it a lot better then the previous issue's part. Ra's is not alive inside his son's body and I did like the moment where they all share a Christmas drink at the end (although I wish Cassandra Cain were included in the family moment)


Detective Comics #840 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Don Kramer


Dini is the master of creating new villains. Many modern writers do not create new villains, they use the old ones (which I have no problem with) or they just use a generic monster or gangster. But Dini know how to create a good old fashioned Batman villain and the Globe - a guy obsessed with maps - just fits right in with the rest. But the Globe isn't even the main attraction of this issue, Ra's Al Ghul right after being ressurected is drugged and locked into Arkham by Batman. After all that, Dini put Ra's right out of action....awesome.

Detective Comics #841 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


The things that I love about Dini's work is how he writes the Bat-villains (and how he utilizes them, for the greatest group of villains in comics, a lot of writers choose not to use them) and he does it again with the Mad Hatter here who although tricked into starting a Wonderland Gang by Tweedledee and Tweedledum, gets his revenge in an awesome way. I miss Kramer's work on this title, but Nguyen's artwork isn't half-bad.

Detective Comics #842 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


This was a good filler. This Suit of Sorrows reminded me too much of the black suit from Spider-Man but all in all, it was a nice little story.

Detective Comics #843 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


This is another great issue of Dini's run in which we finally find out the real name of the new Ventriloquist - Peyton Riley. The name sounds familiar but I am not sure where I have heard it before. One does have to wonder how she could make the scarface voice as a female, but I guess that is just suspension of disbelief? Oh and I am not sure how I feel about a Zatanna-Batman romance.

Detective Comics #844 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


So I am still not sure if Peyton Riley has appeared before, but her origin story is pretty cool and I hadn't even noticed that she had been hiding her eye with her hair this whole time. I garuntee you she's not dead, as she just fell into the ocean and that always means they will be back. I wonder how she will get a hold of Scarface again, considering he's in the Batcave now.

Detective Comics #845 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


I really liked this issue - Catwoman and Batman interacting is always fun - and I especially liked the Detective chat room Batman was in with the Riddler and Detective Chimp. Nice touch, Dini!

Detective Comics #846 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen

So this is Hush's return - and I must say Dini's take on Hush may be even better then Loeb's. His backstory is explored much better here and Dini seems to be on the road to making him a more developed villain for Batman.....and I like the idea that even a lion could cuddle up with Catwoman lol.

Detective Comics #847 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


Yep, I can tell you now that Dini's Hush story is much better then the original - his back storie are making Hush a more well-rounded and frightening character. The conversation between Catwoman and Zatanna made me smile and I can't help but get excited for the next issue.


Detective Comics #848 Written by Paul Dini
Art by Dustin Nguyen


Oh my gosh, that was an intense issue. I was so scared for Selina there, thank god she is alive. How she is living without a heart I do not know. Hush is one sick mother fucker....and I wonder how this all connects to Peyton Riley, the Ventriloquist. And why did Selina recognize Hush as someone else before he stabbed her? This is really really good and I hope people are reading this....because this way better then Hush's debut arc and actually more enjoyable then RIP.

No comments: