Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Supergirl 21 - 33

Supergirl (Volume 5) #21
Written by Tony Bedard

Art by Renato Guedes


This filler arc tying in with Countdown and Amazons Attack continues here and despite tying into horrible storylines, this was pretty good and it was cool to see Supergirl react to seeing alternate versions of the Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl that she knows. The artists don't seem to get here though is that the original Karate Kid is white, but the threeboot Karate Kid is Asian.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #22
Written by Tony Bedard

Art by Renato Guedes


This was a decent issue where Supergirl finishes the fight with generic bio-engineered monster and then joins the Teen Titans officially. I like that she remembers her time with the Legion now.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #23
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


Former Batgirl writer Puckett begins his run here and I must say I liked his run on Batgirl a lot better so far. But Supergirl's reaction to Batman's testing of her made me smile. I just didn't understand this issue. What happened? Was the whole thing a dream? I find it distracting that so much of it is without dialogue, that worked on Batgirl because she couldn't talk at first....but that doesn't work here. I want some thought balloons at least or something jeez.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #24
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


So Superman and Supergirl look into the past to see the moment where Supergirl leaves Krypton before its destruction. I like that because of how slowly light travels, one can still see past events on Krypton with telescopic vision. I am surprised no one thought of that. But I really am not into Krypton stories....at all.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #25
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


This issue was kinda funny. Puckett wrote some good dialogue between Supergirl and Reactron. I especially liked "Was that a nuke, did he just nuke me?!"


Supergirl (Volume 5) #26
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


I feel that Puckett really shined this issue. I liked the dialogue between Supergirl and reactron and the ending could lead to some good story-telling. I wonder why Supergirl would promise a kid she would cure his cancer? I have to say though, I would like Kara so much better if she did wear that rudiculous whore costume. Come on...let's bring back the classic Supergirl costume already!

Supergirl (Volume 5) #27
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Rick Leonardi


This issue Supergirl is thrown into the future where apparently her saving the boy from cancer has effected humanity and now they want to kill her Terminator-style. It's pretty good, nothing to write home about. I wasn't really fond of the art.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #28
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


Strange enough, my only previous experience with Ressurection Man was when he crossed over with the former Supergirl series with Linda Danvers (Gosh she was a great character). I think he is an awesome concept for a Superhero and should be used more often in the DCU. I don't know whether or not Supergirl will be able to cure the boy's cancer, but I like Wonder Woman trying to teach Supergirl a lesson with that purple ray. This is some strong writing from Puckett.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #29
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Drew Johnson


Wow.....that was a depressing ending. Is the boy really dead? So all of that effort was for nothing? Sad but at least realistic. Puckett is doing some good work on this series and I think he could make a great long time run on this series but sadly he is being replaced soon. Although I am not too sad since Sterling Gates seems like a promising writer for this series.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #30
Written by Will Pfieffer

Art by Ron Randall


This filler issue tied in so perfectly with what is going on in the series that it did not seem like filler at all. Kara speaks to Jor-El about what her places is and he basically says Krypton lives through her. Which makes a lot of sense since she is really the only one who remembers Krypton. This was really good and for some reason, Randall's art was a lot better here then the work he did previously on this series.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #31
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Brad Walker


This was an emotional issue. Supergirl tries to use Ressurection Man's blood to revive the dead boy....but it doesn't seem to work. I feel really bad for his mother, who was given false hope by Supergirl.

Supergirl (Volume 5) #32
Written by Kelly Puckett

Art by Ron Randall


Well, it looks like the cancer boy story comes to a close with this issue. It ends rather sadly, but realistically as I had hoped. Supergirl has learned the lessons of mortality and messing with time and there is no great ressurection of the boy.


Supergirl (Volume 5) #33
Written by James Peatty

Art by Ron Randall


I liked how this filler issue connected with Kelly Pickett's run, but I was a little confused as to how Supergirl and Empress know eachother. Maybe Empress visited the Tower when Kara was with the Titans? I do not know but for some reason it bothered me. Minor annoyance. The art was fantastic and the story was pretty good. I wouldn't go out of my way to pick this up though. The next issue should be fantastic as Sterling Gates begins his run on this title.

No comments: