Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Superman/Batman 31 - 35

Superman/Batman #31
Written by Mark Verheiden
Art by Matthew Clark

Well, that was crazy. I must say I really do not enjoy Matthew Clark's arc. Not on the Outsiders and not here. But I do like the idea of all earth's alien being brainwashed to kill the humans and I do love it whenever Plastic Man makes an appearance in any comic so I am torn on this. Anyways, why is Lex acting like a businessman in this issue again? Isn't Lana the CEO of LexCorp now while Lex is in hiding? Verheiden should keep up with continuity.

Superman/Batman #32 Written by Mark Verheiden
Art by Matthew Clark

I liked the idea that Superman is taken out of his trance by his love for Lois. I liked that Batman was forced to put the black rock on in order to survive...but this issue falls flat. First, because of the continuity issues. Why is Hawkgirl even there? She is not an alien. And second because I feel like it could be soo much better than it is.

Superman/Batman #33 Written by Mark Verheiden
Art by Matthew Clark

This arc comes to a nice tidy conclusion. Superman convinces the Armada that earth has some good people and shouldn't be destroyed. I liked how the battle was won through words and diplomacy and not through violence. But I can't help but feel this whole storyline was a failure. It took too long to come out and had too many continuity mistake. Hawkgirl had red hair in this issue like the old thanagarian Hawkwoman! What the hell!

Superman/Batman #34 Written by Mark Verheiden
Art and Cover by Pat Lee


First time around, I was completely bored with this issue. I have no experience with the Metal Men (accept for 52) and did not care. Second time around, I definitely enjoyed it more and paid attention better. It is a decent story so far, I don't know if it is consistent with Metal Men continuity or not but I liked the parts where Bruce realizes he should do better to protect the guards of Wayne Enterprises.

Superman/Batman #35
Written by Mark Verheiden and Marc Guggenheim
Art by Pat Lee


Now this was a strong issue. I don't know about anyone else, but I was not expecting THAT ending. The OMAC Project! Wow, I look forward to seeing how this all plays out next issue. I don't know if it was Guggenheim, but I liked this better than all previous issues of Verheiden's run. The teamwork between Batman and Superman was prefect. I loved their conversation about "Super-Brain". That made a nice use of continuity, I don't think anyone has acknowledged the "Super-Brain" thing since that first OYL story arc. Great issue. This arc is definitely picking up.

No comments: