Thursday, December 21, 2006

The (Modern) Debut of The Spirit

The Spirit #1
Written by Darwyn Cooke
Art by Cooke

I have absolutely have no familiarity with the Character of The Spirit. I am a complete newbite and I have to say I am a fan of the character after reading this issue. My first introduction to The Spirit was on that History Channel documentary about comics from a few years back. He looked kinda interesting but nothing I would seek out. Now, I wanna read everything the character has ever been in. Cooke writes a wonderful little adventure for the Spirit and unlike most new series, he does not recap the Spirit's origin, which I don't mind at all. I suppose he will tell it eventually but it is not important right now. I think this series is supposed to slowly intergrate The Spirit into the DC Universe but I am not sure. I hope it does. The story is a lot of fun. I expected that The Spirit would be a dark and grim character like Batman but it turns out he has a sense of humor and a good one at that. His little comments to Ginger Coffee were very funny. I hope her character will make a return. Cooke manages to reintroduce The Spirit's Sidekick, Ebony White, without being racist. That is pretty incredible. The villain in this issue is pretty gross, his name is The Pill and I don't know if he is a new character or not. Great start to what looks like will be a great series, highly reccomended

No comments: