Friday, March 31, 2006

Hawkgirl Flys Solo

Hawkgirl #50
Written by Walter Simonson
Art and Cover by Howard Chaykin


I enjoyed this book. It was decent; nothing great and nothing bad. I like the feel of it and I think setting the Hawk-characters in Louisiana was a great idea. I don't know why I am just realizing this now fifty issues in but St. Roch, Lousiana is just perfect for them. I mean it has got that sort of historical/modern/mystical type of feel to it and I think that is what the Hawks are really about. I think the ending is cool because I mean, anytime there is a secret passageway under any building it is going to be cool. It reminds me of Indiana Jones and the temple of doom a little bit. Indiana Jones is actually probably the closest in style to this book than anything else. One thing though that was a little off-putting was Hawkgirl constantly talking to herself and explaining her actions. It just seemed out of place, very silver agey. But I don't think it really takes much away from the book. The art was hard to get used to at first but I think that it will get better with time.

No comments: