Friday, October 03, 2008

Wonder Woman 12 - 25

Wonder Woman (Volume 3) #12
Written by J. Torres
Art by Paco Diaz

Oh will Amazons Attack never end. The god-awful mini-series spills over into this issue as Wonder Woman and Nemesis look for the missing Sarge Steel. Of course this issue wasn't bad though, Everyman is always a fun villain.

Wonder Woman (Volume 3) #13
Written by J. Torres

Art by Julian Lopez

Now this was more like it. A very sweet issue that while still dealing with the Amazons Attack aftermath, it is not burdened by it one bit. I liked seeing the JSA wondering about Hippolyta, it's easy to forget that she was once a member of their team and they WOULD react to her coming back from the dead.

Wonder Woman (Volume 3) #14
Written by Gail Simone

Art by Terry Dodson

Gail Simone's first issue may not have completely blown me away, but it was pretty damn good...especially when compared to the previous runs on this series. Bringing back Etta Candy is genius, having female gorillas live in Diana's apartment is genius, and Nazis attacking Themyscira is genius. I think we can say Simone is a genius.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #15
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Terry Dodson


I like the idea of Wonder Woman going to the different Pantheons of Gods seeking help and I especially like that she ended up receiving that help from an obscure pantheon - the Hawaiian Gods. Very awesome. Oh and can I saw Diana's transformation into Wonder Woman at the beginning was beautiful. Go Dodsons!


Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #16
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Terry Dodson and Ron Randall

This issue was sligtly decompressed as it was essentially just one big battle between Wonder Woman and her gorillas, and the Nazi on Themyscara. Although it wasn't bad, I was kinda expecting more.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #17
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Terry Dodson and Ron Randall

This concludes Simone's first story arc on this title and I must say it was a great ending. The entire thing could have been an issue less but it was still a good arc. And Simone had Plastic Man in it! Yay! I also like how Simone is setting up these mysteries in advance...effectively creating a slow build that a long term writer should do.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #18
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Bernard Chang

Haha I did not know this but Etta Candy's catchphrase is Woo Woo and Simone uses it in the final page of this issue in a very modern and hilarious way. The art took some getting used to after the Dodsons but it wasn't bad. I am not sure how I feel about Diana courting Nemesis, we will see how it goes I guess.


Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #19
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Bernard Chang

This short story arc was very good. I liked how the Ichor is set up to be threats in the future and Etta Candy is a great sidekick for Diana. I am not sure how they made the Khund girl a Green Lantern, did one of the GLs die. I thought someone only becomes a GL when a previous one dies? And doesn't the ring choose the person?

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #20
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Aaron Lopestri

Eh...I can't really get excited about this arc. Wonder Woman in a sword and sorcery world does nothing for me. The only moments I really enjoyed were the stuff with Etta Candy.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #21
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Aaron Lopestri

Other then the scenes outside of the otherworldly plane (the stuff with Nemsis and the stuff with Hippolyta), I found this pretty boring. Which isn't Simone's fault as much as I am just uninterested in this kind of story.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #22
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Aaron Lopestri

Ditto, but it is good to see Donna again in this title.

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #23
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Aaron Lopestri

The moments between Donna and Nemsis were fantastic this issue but I am still glad this arc is over.


Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #24
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Bernard Chang

Now this is more like it. Nemesis meets with Hippolyta who acts like a typical mother meeting her daughter's new boyfriend, including asking him if they have had sex and when they plan on having babies! Fantastic! The movie stuff was cool especially since we get to see some of Diana's past reenacted innacurately. I look forward to seeing Wonder Woman kick the Queen of Fables' ass. And having Diana say she no longer has self-doubts just shows how far she has come since the beginning of this series when she was annoyingly full of self-doubts. Thanks Gail! (:

Wonder Woman (Volume
3) #25
Written by Gail Simone
Art by Bernard Chang

This was a pretty good issue...I especially liked the end with the little girls. I think more little girls should be looking up to Wonder Woman....we need a good Wonder Woman movie soon. I like how Simone really expressed her opinion about the Wonder Woman movie in this issue....that we should wait for a really good one instead of getting a crappy one now and I agree with that but it would be nice to have a good one soon. I guess you can't get your cake and eat it too.

No comments: