Wednesday, October 08, 2008

JSA 7 - 19

Justice Society of America #7
Written by Geoff Johns

Art by Dale Eaglesham

I am glad to be reviewing this series again as it is just so full of goodness I want to scream in happiness. This issue deals with the aftermath of Nathan Heywood becoming Citizen Steel. I do think it is kinda rude how the JSA kinda forces the whole super hero thing upon Nathan but all in all this was an uplifiting yet sad story of a man who has lost the ability to feel and lost his family. Starman's moments are of course fantastic as is the teamwork of the JSA.


Justice Society of America #8
Written by Geoff Johns

Art by Fernando Pasarin

I barely even noticed Eaglesham wasn't the artist the art and story was so good this issue. This issue dealt with the character of Liberty Belle and really got into the psyche of her character...dealing with her parents and her love for Hourman. The whole thing with not throwing away something just because it has a crack in it was perfect. Tremendous issue.

Justice Society of America #9
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham

While this was another fantastic issue, the last page reveal did not really excite me much; considering I am not a fan of Alex Ross or Kingdom Come but I trust Johns will do something good with the Superman of Earth-22. Oh and Johns knows how to utilize each member of a superhero team like no other writer in comics.

Justice Society of America #10
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham

I like that one has to not even read Kingdom Come to understand this as Kingdom Come is recapped throughout the issue. I am digging this even though I wish this series wasn't so Alex Ross-influenced.

Justice Society of America #11
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham

I am getting exicted for all these new members! In this issue alone we get Superman of Earth-22 (who I like the contrast between his perception of New Earth and the Earth-2 Superman's perception), Judomaster, and Mr. America. I wonder why Judomaster is so different from her appearences in Birds of Prey though. I am pretty sure she spoke english there.

Justice Society of America #12
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham


Nice! I am always excited for new members and this issue was packed full of 'em. Amazing Man - making the original a hero of the civil rights movement was brilliant and the new one helping out in New Orleans after Katrina was brilliant as well. Lightning - You have to wonder why Black Lightning has these daughters he never mentions. It is unclear in this issue - but aren't Black Lightning and his wife sitll divorced. Visually Lightning is cool as hell though. Lance is probably the least exciting of the bunch - I mean his Lance arm is cool but the whole no costume thing kinda kills it. I like that he is Roosevelt's Great Grandson though. Roosevelt you could say is a found of the JSA. I don't know how I feel about Lance mentioning there are 300 other metahumans in the military because I don't really like the idea that metahumans are extremely common. It takes away from their specialty.

Justice Society of America #13
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham

This was another good issue but it was a little more Kingdom Come-Centric then I would have liked and not enough JSA action. I like that Jakeem Thunder is crushing on Lightning. They would make a great couple!

Justice Society of America #14
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham


This is the kind of issue that shows how well Johns writes teams. Not only does all twenty-something members get a word in in this issue, but they are all utilized well in the fight scene.

Justice Society of America #15
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham


The fight with the false Gog continues this issue with great character moments sprinkled in - such as Lightning's aggression over not being able to drive a car to Citizen Steel's declaration of his "thing"- the art and writing in this issue was fantastic. The upcoming preview was cool but didn't get me as excited as the first issue's one did.

Justice Society of America #16
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Fernando Pasarin

I can't tell if Gog is bluffing or not, but he does have the creepiest yet warmest smile of any giant gods I know (:
Pasarin is the perfect subsitute for Eaglesham, their work is so similar.
I hope Damage's face isn't fixed for good. I like his current costume.


Justice Society of America #17
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Fernando Pasarin


Awww I really like Gog! I like his smile and his kindness. I still get the feeling he can't be trusted but he is at least fooling me into thinking he could be a good guy. Another fantastic issue. I hope Starman isn't permanently cured, he is a lot more interesting as a loon.

Justice Society of America #18
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham


I am excited for next issue as we get a look at the Earth-2 Michael Holt in this issue. Hawkman is right...it might be a good idea to let them stay as trees but no I do not think he should be allowed to just kill them. I get the feeling that Gog's "miracles" are not really blessings at all.

Justice Society of America #19
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham


At first I thought that Johns had gone to the cliche we are going to fight eachother over something completely stupid thing but luckily he saved itself by Alan Scott declaring the JSA doesn't fight itself. Awesome. I didn't want Johns going all Winick on us all of a sudden. Anyways, another fine issue but this is Gog thing is dragging out a little long. I am more excited about the Power Girl stuff and look forward to next issue. Oh and it's great to see Black Adam back.

No comments: