Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Superman 664 - 680

Superman #664
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Carlos Pacheco

This was a good issue but I am glad this whole Arion storyline is over. It was getting really boring....Squad K was a great concept and I am glad Busiek did not write Superman as resenting them.

Superman #665
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Rick Leonardi

Eh this was an okay issue spotlighting how Jimmy Olsen met Superman. I don't care much about the character so this was only okay for me. Not much to say otherwise.

Superman #666
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Walter Simonson

This was an awesome issue. Krypton's Hell's demons coming after Superman is a clever idea and a nice little one-shot story. I especially liked the whole Superman being annoyed with people in his 'dream' so he just kills them. Made me laugh...although I am glad that it wasn't really him.

Superman #667
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Carlos Pacheco

Damn...I thought all of this Arion crap was over!! I guess not...as this continues that storyline. The art is good, but I still don't dig this story that much.

Superman #668
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Rick Leonardi

Now this was the best issue of this series in a while. It was great to se Robin and Chris Kent meet and how Superman is aware that Batman is always spying on him. I also can't wait to finally meet the third Kryptonian.

Superman #669
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Rick Leonardi

At first I Was a little dissapointed to see that the Third Kryptonian was an old woman but I ended up really liking the idea that this space-faring adventurer just wants to settle down and rest in her old age and that is why she has avoided contact with Superman. She doesn't want to be a hero and I like that. Kristin Wells wasn't an actual Kryptonian pre-crisis and she had an awesome costume that I think her current suit is based on. They should bring back the original costume if she ever does decide to become Superwoman.

Superman #670
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Rick Leonardi

Now this was a great issue of Superman! Action, Character moments, and all around a good time! I wish Busiek wasn't leaving this title so soon at the same time more of his issues should have been like this! It was great to see the entire "Superman Family" working together and I liked all the set up for the stuff coming up this year with "New Krypton". Busiek must have originally supposed to be part of that storyline but left due to Trinity. Unless he set it up just for the editor and on Geoff Johns's behalf.

Superman #671
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Peter Vale

This was an okay start to this arc dealing with an "insect queen". Not much to say...it was really just set up.

Superman #672
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Peter Vale

Insect Queens always make good villains lol and I don't know why Chris Kent's watch blew up but I look forward to next issue.



Superman #673
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Peter Vale

Eh this was okay....nothing really great, I thought the stuff about Superman understanding Chris's loneliness was stupid. Clark was a baby when Krypton exploded! Why do so many writers write as if he has some strong emotional attachment to the planet. Earth is home...it's plain and simple. Despite Donner's obsession with Krypton, it is not THAT important.

Superman #674
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Renato Guedes

This was another decent issue from Busiek that brings an old Justice League villain back. The stuff I am more interested in is the stuff with Mon-El. Nice art as well.

Superman #675
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Renato Guedes

Busiek's final issue on the title wraps up the whole what if civilization collapses plot-thread by introducing the idea of Superman creating a library full of human knowledge. I like the idea and it is a great concept. Busiek still writes the character in Trinity and that is a really good series. More people should be reading it.

Superman #676
Written by Vito Delsante
Art by Julian Lopez

Okay was that supposed to be Connor Kent at the end....apparently cloned and in stasis long before his debut? I think so....nice touch. This was obviously supposed to be in Superman Confidential but it makes for a nice fill-in. It was kinda bland though and I am kind of sick of Solomon Grundy right now.

Superman #677
Written by James Robinson
Art by Renato Guedes

James Robinson begins his run on Superman with this issue and I have to say it's decent. I mean I am not jumping for joy about it but it is pretty good. Atlas seems like a worthy opponent for Superman and I like how Superman says that he beat the traditon of Superhero relationships by staying with Lois. **Cough Cough I am looking at you Spider-Man and Marvel Comics**

Superman #678
Written by James Robinson
Art by Renato Guedes

This issue was just confusing. I am not sure if I really get Atlas's origin. Where is he from? Why is he so strong? And why does Jimmy keep talking about Superman's breakfast? Weird.....

Superman #679
Written by James Robinson
Art by Renato Guedes

Not enough happened in this issue to make it an issue. Superman fights Atlas and then Supergirl does and Krypto appeared. Albeit this is the most excited I have ever gotten about Krypto appearing anyways. Maybe because we get to see his thoughts. I think it is a little out of character for Lois to be jealous of Zatanna. So far Robinson's run has not been as good as I expected.

Superman #680
Written by James Robinson
Art by Renato Guedes

We still know next to nothing about Atlas at the end of this but I suspect that Robinson will bring this up at some later point. The highlight of this issue was Superman's talk with Zachary Zatara and Krypto thinking "happy" at the very end which made me smile. Robinson actually made me like the idea of Krypto....which is a rare thing. This arc could have been much shorter though.

No comments: