Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Superman Batman 40 - 48

Superman/Batman #40
Written by Alan Burnett
Art by Dustin Nguyen

Uh oh Batman is getting horny! This arc seems to be playing up the whole New Gods as actual Gods thing that Morrison has introduced. I like it a lot and Bekka definitely has an effect on Batman's desire here. Nguyen was the artist on JLA when I first got into comics so I get a feeling of comfort from it. It's not amazing art, but I like it. Check out the rack on Bekka though hehe, I don't blame Batman for desiring her. If I was straight, I might do the same.

Superman/Batman #41
Written by Alan Burnett
Art by Dustin Nguyen

Superman's little dream sequence in this issue was hilarious. I loved all the cameos and the appearance of the guy from the cover of Action Comics #1. I think, if I am not mistaken, that we ever see the inside of the Source Wall.

Superman/Batman #42
Written by Alan Burnett
Art by Dustin Nguyen

The conclusion to this was a little anti-climactic but still good. Overall, I liked this arc a lot. And I so rarely enjoy arcs with the New Gods.

Superman/Batman #40
Written by Andy Lanning & Andy Lanning
Art by Mike McKone

Um ya this was kinda boring and pointless. I don't know, Dr. Light using a light projection of the old Teen Titans to fight Superman and Batman is kind of well lame and not interesting. I can not really tell you why that is, it is just how I feel I guess. The mystery man at the end of the issue could be either Luthor or Libra, not sure which one it is.

Superman/Batman #44
Written by Michael Green

Art by Shane Davis


Michael Green begins his Superman/Batman run with this issue....hopefully he sticks around longer then every other writer since Loeb left the title. Shane Davis's art is awesome and I think it fits perfectly with this book. And Green's writing makes for great superhero storytelling. He actually utilizes Superman's super-speed power that I don't think a lot of current writers really utilize to its potential. I like the "freak of the week" reference to Smallville. I think this is the first time in comic continuity they have acknowledged that kryptonite can effect humans in strange ways. The beginning with the shooting of the movie about Superman and Batman was hilarious, especially with how wrong they got Batman's origin. Also, the idea of hunting down all the kryptonite in the world is very intriguing.


Superman/Batman #45
Written by Michael Green
Art by Shane Davis

Another superb issue by this new creative team. The only thing I had a problem with was the reasoning for Aquaman attacking Superman was a little faulty. Why doesn't he want him taking Kryptonite from the ocean? Oh and has everyone forgotten he goes by Joseph now, not Arthur?

Superman/Batman #46
Written by Michael Green

Art by Shane Davis

This was a pretty fun issue in which Silver Kryptonite apparently causes Superman to act like a child. It was pretty good. And it wasn't stupid or done for laughs either. Very well-written.

Superman/Batman #47 Written by Michael Green and Mike Johnson
Art by Shane Davis

Whoa this was a pretty kick ass issue. It makes pe
rfect sense for the government to have a kryptonite storage place and kryptonite weapons in case Superman goes rogue, I am surprised no one though of it before.

Superman/Batman #48
Written by Michael Green
and Mike Johnson
Art by Shane Davis

Well, Smallville is nearly destroyed this issue. Luckily it will be rebuilt and Amanda Waller is a real bitch here. I'd argue that Green is turning out to be the best writer this title has ever had.

No comments: