Sunday, June 15, 2008

Outsiders 1 - 7

Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #1
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez


You can say that I was excited about this book. Mike W. Barr's Batman and the Outsiders run from the eighties is one of my favorites and while this new incarnation doesn't have Halo, it still has Batman, Katana, and Metamorpho from that run. Admittedly though, I have never been a big fan of Metamorpho. I found the this debut issue to be a lot of fun - a straight forward superhero action story, especially when it comes to the Outsiders, who seem to work best when they are breaking into places they are not supposed to be. From future solicits, it looks like the line up may change. But I like what it is so far. The art, by the way, is amazing. Lopez even makes the hideous new Katana costume beautiful.



Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #2

Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez

Hell ya! While I am sad to see Martian Manhunter leave the team as he is not even in the Justice League these days - I almost screamed with joy when Batgirl made her entrance by throwing Thunder through the window (Although I wonder why this was necessary). Dixon wrote a few issues of Batgirl's own series and unlike everyone else that has handled Cassandra since Infinite Crisis - I trust that he will get the character right. Catwoman's leaving of the team didn't surprise as she doesn't seem to fit, but it seemed out-of-character for her to leave because she was basically scared of all the metahuman action. I really don't see
Selina
admitting she is afraid, even if she is. Another fun issue.

Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #3
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez

Another fantastic issue, Dixon has the Justice League guest-star (well some of them) and get in a semi-fight with Batman over whether the rescued OMAC should be under League or Outsiders jurisdiction. I think the transfer of Geo-Force to the Outsiders makes perfect sense since he is one of the founders of the team, and he only seemed to be in the Justice League cause Meltzer liked him (although he failed to explain at all how Geo-Force came to be a member, just like a lot of things in his run). Batgirl's moment with Grace and Thunder was hilarious, and I am interested in the addition of REMAC to the team as I was a big fan of the robot, Indigo, during Winick's run and I think the Outsiders kinda need an A.I. team mate. I have no idea who the people are at the end of this issue though.


Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #4
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez


Aw! It's Ralph and Sue Dibny! The two mystery characters from last issue were Ralph and Sue Dibny, apparently now taking different forms as Ghost Detectives. Awesome....I didn't see that coming at all, especially in this book. I like how all Batgirl and Green Arrow just have to have a nice little fight to iron out their differences. Although I don't quite get why Green Arrow is a member, doesn't really seems like he fits. This book is still going strong.

Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #5
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez

This was another good issue of this series. Not much to say about it. Loved how Batgirl tells the girl she just beat up that she smells like strawberries though haha.

Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #6
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez

Oh my, Saphire Stagg is in this issue. How do I loathe her so. In fact, I hate her so much I think she is the reason I don't really like Metamorpho, how could he love her! Besides that, the mission to steal the Chinese rocket shows how the Outsiders really are willing to break the rules for the greater good. I particularly liked that Batgirl is going to come to their rescue - and Green Arrow tells the Chinese guy that they would be luckier if it was Superman. Because as I will say as many times as I can on this blog, Cassandra Cain is a bad ass!

Batman and the Outsiders (Volume 2) #7
Written by Chuck Dixon
Art by Julian Lopez

Well, it looks like Batman may finally give Thunder the chance she deserves. This series is really good and I am sad to hear Dixon is leaving this series after Issue 10 and DC altogether. I may not agree with his politics, but Dixon knows how to write some damn good comics.

No comments: