Saturday, August 18, 2007

Action Comics 852 - 854

Action Comics #852
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and Cover by Brad Walker

Well this was a fun little Countdown Crossover. It was cool to see the origin of Jimmy's signal watch. This isn't imperative to read if you are reading Countdown but it is a nice crossover and shows you how Jimmy starts thinking of becoming Mr. Action (Fitting that this is running in ACTION Comics). I liked seeing the Kryptonite Man again as he is a treat for the eyes. Other than that, no comment really.

Action Comics #853
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and Cover by Brad Walker


Part 2 of this Countdown Crossover was awesome! This was a kick-ass issue. I loved Jimmy's feelings about being a superhero- the cowl hair, the hot girl fan- it was exactly what I would think if I all of a sudden gained powers and became a superhero. Jimmy's new power of knowing secret identities is cool and ends my problem with Jimmy knowing about Jason Todd over in Countdown. The ubernet is a cool concept and I hope it shows up more around the DCU. Wonderful issue. I think I am actually starting to like Jimmy Olsen.

Action Comics #854
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and Cover by Brad Walker

This was a neat conclusion to the Countdown Crossover. Jimmy Olsen get to keep Krypto....and the biggest surprise of all, he knows Clark Kent is Superman. I actually like this development, it kind've makes Jimmy more Superman's pal then ever before. I do wonder where Krypto has been in space for the last year and why he came back at that exact moment. That stuff will be answered in time I suppose. This was a nice arc. Kurt is a great Superman writer and under appreciated for it.

No comments: