Sunday, May 20, 2007

Superman 660 - 662

Superman #660
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Mike Manley
and Bret Blevins

This was a very charming issue and I highly reccomend it. It seemed very old school and that was great. The story is told from the perspective of the classic Superman villain, the Prankster. I do not know much about him but Busiek has turned me into a fan. He is a charming villain who really just loves his performances and loves to involve Superman in him. His revenge on Nitro G was just awesome and hilarious. Long live the Prankster.

Superman #661
Written by Kurt Busiek and Richard Howell
Art by Richard Howell and Eduardo Barreto


On one hand, I really liked this issue. It was cool to see Wonder Woman and Lois Lane working together and the idea of the villain, a woman who has to have the affection of men because of a curse by Zeus was really interesting. But this read like an Archie Comic or something, the dialogue was really odd and seemed out of place for a Superman comic book. Especially the end where Lois looks at the reader and winks...what the hell?

Superman #662
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Carlos Pacheco

Now this is a return to form by Busiek after last issue's lameness. I really enjoyed the mystery of this issue. Superman is pretty worried that Arion's propechy from a few issues back is going to come true. I love how Busiek acknowledges things going on in other books. Little tidbits are seen that makes a great use of continuity. I wonder who the third kryptonian is? I have wondered that since the Auctioneer said it and I am glad Superman is following up on that question. It should be exciting when it is finally revealed. (This is better than Johns and Donner's run on Action Comics people, why is that a bigger deal? Who knows.)

No comments: