Thursday, May 17, 2007

Spirit 3 - 5

The Spirit #3
Written by Darwyn Cooke
Art by Cooke and J. Bone


We are treated with the Spirit's origin story this issue. I gotta say that I am glad Cooke did not open this series with his origin, it made this issue all the more exciting. This book is visually stunning and written really well...but it should be doing better. READ THIS! It is a really good read. Anyways, I don't know if this is the same as The Spirit's old origin or if it's just tweaked or what. But it is a really cool idea, especially how it is presented here. If you were really alive and everyone thought you were dead, would you let anyone know?


The Spirit #4
Written by Darwyn Cooke
Art by Cooke and J. Bone


For some reason unknown, it took me awhile to get into this issue. I just wasn't digging it at first. I was constantly distracted by other things. But by the end, I became invested in the story. Silk Satin seemed like just another tough CIA agent at the beginning but over the 25 pages I grew to really like her. She is soft yet hard as nails. I am also curious to learn more about the Octopus.

The Spirit #5
Written by Darwyn Cooke
Art by Cooke and J. Bone

This was another fun issue of The Spirit. It is also really the first time we have seen The Spirit do "field work" with his sidekick, Ebony White. I like how they work together.They work off eachother really well. The "villain" of this issue was definitely my favorite part. Mr. Carrion, a crazed greedy man who is in love with his pet vulture, Julia. I don't know if he is a Will Eisner creation or a Cooke creation but kudos to whoever created him because that is just awesome! Hilarious idea for a villain. I hope we see more of him in the future (And maybe around the DCU if this series takes place in the DCU)


No comments: