Sunday, December 17, 2006

Look Who's Talking

Superman Confidential #2
Written by Darwyn Cooke
Art and Cover by Tim Sale


This issue continues the look at Superman's first encounter with kryptonite. I have come to the conclusion that while I would not want Tim Sale on Action Comics or Superman, this is the perfect series for him to do if he had to do Superman. His art style bring that sort of retro touch that he series needs. Cooke's story, while not filled with action, is emotonally jarring as we see Superman deal with the fact that he is not completely invulnerable when he has to stop a volcanoe and almsot drowns in Lava. For some reason I always figured Superman could not survive in Lava but I guess he can now. Of course, this is only a foreshadowing of thing to come when he comes face to face with Kryptonite. The only thing I did not like about the script is the beginning where, if I am not mistaken, the kryptonite itself has a monolgue. Why is the kryptonite speaking? It is an inanimate object, is it not? That was just weird and award.

No comments: