Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hawkgirl 53 - 57

Hawkgirl #53
Written by Walter Simonson
Art by Howard Chaykin

This issue was pretty weird. I think because of Chaykin's art. He draws a pretty messed up villains this issue. The whole weirdness factor doesn't mean I didn't like this issue because I did like it. I liked how Hawkgirl was shown on patrol, not enough heroes are shown like that these days. I am a little dissapinted that Grubs is dead now. I thought he was becoming a good character.

Hawkgirl #54
Written by Walter Simonson
Art by Howard Chaykin

Now this issue I really enjoyed for some reason. I was really getting into it. St. Roch is perfect for zombies and I can't wait to see Hawkgirl kick some zombie ass. All in all, I am beginning to be glad that Hawkgirl is the star of this book now and she can get some much needed characterization. Despite what the cover makes it seem like, Carter doesn't appear until the last page. Oh and I really like the idea that the villain can cause people to go mad when one looks into her eyes.

Hawkgirl #55
Written by Walter Simonson Art by Howard Chaykin

This issue wasn't quite as good. The art started to bug me again and I was pretty confused. I do like the idea of Hath-Set coming back, we haven't seem in a long time. Exploring the Hawks's past is always interesting. I just found this to be a sort of "in the middle" issue.

Hawkgirl #56
Written by Walter Simonson
Art by Howard Chaykin

I liked this issue but it leaves us with more questions than answers. What exactly was the thing in the basement? And why does it want to kill the hawks? And it safe to say now that Hawkgirl is not against killing her adversaries. Okay issue.

Hawkgirl #57
Written by Walter Simonson
Art by Joe Bennet
Cover by Howard Chaykin

This issue was another okay one. Not much happens, Kendra is locked up by some folks led by Blackfire that believe her to be a traitor from the Rann/Thanagar War. I feel like this was a pretty decompressed issue. It could have been better. Now that art though, Bennet is a hell of an improvement over Chaykin and I hope he stays on the book for a while. He drawes Hawkgirl to look cool, like she should look.

No comments: