Monday, October 23, 2006

Aquaman 43 and 44

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #43
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and Cover by Butch Guice

I am going to have to just come out and say that this is the best revitalization of a series I have seen in a long time. This series used to be so boring...month after month of blandness. Now, month after month it continues to intrigue me as we get closer and closer into this mystery. It is basically confirmed this issue by the ghost of Vulko that Garth (Tempest) and his family are not dead. I know that many fans of the character were worried about his death but luckily Busiek saved him. I think I really like Vulko after this issue, I never knew much about him before.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #44
Written by Kurt Busiek
Art and Cover by Butch Guice

The mystery deepens (no pun intended) this issue when the Dweller in the Depths shows his true face to Mera. The reader does not get to see it but Mera looks very surprised at it. Is the dweller the old Aquaman? The dweller certainly seems very confused on who or what he is. Seeing the Ocean Master face the new Aquaman is pretty cool and we can also see through this how inexperienced yet brave the new Aquaman is. The Aurati are interesting creatures. I think I would like to see more of them as time goes on.