Friday, July 21, 2006

Honey, I Shrunk A Chinese Guy

All-New Atom #1
Written by Gail Simone
Art by John Byrne and Trevor Scott
Cover by Ariel Olivetti

So Ray Palmer dissapears and a young admirer named Ryan Choi from China takes his place at Ivy University and the fun begins! I really enjoyed this issue, I never even liked The Atom that much as a character before but Ryan really interests me. Simone brings us a world where carpets seem like jungles and rats are giant terrifying beasts. It reminds me a lot of watching Honey, I Shrunk the Kids when I was a kid. It brings back that awe I felt then. There could be world in the crack of the sidewalks kind of awe. The art though, I found it to be a little odd, but not odd enough to take away from the story. Byrne does draw one freaky rat though. We even get a heft dose of supporting characters this issue who I am excited to explore and a lot of comedic moments. Check out this issue, it is really good! This series seems to have a bright future ahead of it.

No comments: