Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Pain of Steel

JLA Classified #22
Written by Steve Englehart
Art by Tom Derenick and Mark Farmer
Cover by Mike Zeck and Jerry Ordway


These kinds of stories are what the classified serieses should be about. Untold stories about a teams past. This time around, we focus on the Justice League's Detroit era. Now I wasn't around during this time but I have heard the jokes and stuff. But I also see why some people do like this era. These characters are interesting and cool, but I am glad they only lasted for a short time as the JLA because they really are not the JLA. Englehart, who I have never head of before this, comes up with a simple story about villains getting revenge on the JLA. But he turns this into a character study of each of the new members. This issue focused on Steel. Not the John Henry Irons, but the JL Detroit Steel. I liked this as this is a character I am not familiar with. The way his grandfather forced him to become "synthetic" was sick and someone should have called social services on the guy. I really feel bad for Steel. He has to live with pain all the time. That just sux. I act like it is the end of the world when stub my toe, I can't imagine the kind of pain this guy is going through. I sympathize with the character, although I wish he was less hard on his teammates. He considers them the loser version of the league, obvious reflecting comic fans thought of the Detroit era league. Also, Martian Manhunter's costume is classic and I do not get why he is getting new one in his upcoming Mini-Series. This issue made me upset about that decision. They should keep his old one. Anyway, great start to this arc and I am looking forward to next week's focus on Vibe.

No comments: