Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Batman Begins, Oops I Mean Confidential

Batman Confidential #1
Written by Andy Diggle
Art and Cover by Whilce Portacio and Richard Friend

This is the start of a new series that will focus on the early days of Batman's career....and like many before me, all I have to say is.....haven't we seen this a million times? Isn't this what Legends of the Dark Knight is supposed to be about? Aren't like half the mini-series focued around Batman about his early days? I suppose you can make the arguement that Batman's early days have been changed a bit since Infinite Crisis but I mean...come on. Now ignoring all that, Andy Diggle's story is not bad. It wouldn't be the type of first I would choose to start off the book but it isn't a bad choice. This is the story of the first meeting between Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor. I have always wondered about Wayne Enterprises and LexCorp and if they have any competition between eachother and this story shows that they do. This story bars plenty of Batman Begins which isn't necessarily bad but you don't want to make it seem like it is copying it, which Diggle kind of is. Lucious Fox is in the tech department here much like he was in Batman Begins and Bruce's banter with Fox is very similar to the film. But I guess since it was a great movie, there is no reason why elements of it shouldn't be brought to the comics. The art wasn't my cup of tea, they draw Bruce really weird in this. He looks deformed or something.

No comments: